Text Size

A A A  

NPDB Guide to Reporting Criminal Convictions

Infographics provide basic guidance only. Review federal regulations and the NPDB Guidebook for comprehensive instructions.

Reporting Criminal Convictions Infographic. Text only version below.

NPDB Guide to Reporting Criminal Convictions

Before Submitting:

Are you a federal or state prosecutor involved in a case which a health care practitioner, provider or supplier was convicted?

A criminal conviction against a health care practitioner, provider, or supplier is reportable when it is related to the delivery of a health care item or service and includes any of the following:

  • A judgment or conviction that has been entered against an individual or entity in a Federal, State, or local court, regardless of whether an appeal is pending or the conviction or other record relating to criminal conduct has been expunged
  • When an individual or entity has entered into participation in a first offender, deferred adjudication, or other arrangement or program where conviction has been withheld
  • A plea of guilty or nolo contendere by an individual or entity that has been accepted by a Federal, State, or local court
  • A finding of guilt against an individual or entity that is made in a Federal, State, or local court

Health care-related injunctions must also be reported.

Submit an Initial Adverse Action Report within 30 days of when the action was taken

Report Modifications (when needed):

The NPDB notifies the subject of the report when the report is submitted, and when any of these modifications are made.

  • Did you organization take an action that modifies or relates to a previously reported action (including reinstatements)? If yes, Submit a Revision to Action report.
  • Did your organization determine there is an error or omission in a previously submitted report? If yes, submit a Correction Report.
  • Was it determined that an action should not have been reported because:
    • The report was erroneously submitted?
    • The action is not reportable?
    • The action was revered or overturned?
    These are the only reasons for which a report may be voided.
  • Did a practitioner appeal a previously reported action? Submit a Notice of Appeal

View a PDF Version (PDF - 144 KB)