Mini image of an American Flag An official website of the United States government.

Icon of a government buiding.

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Icon of a lock box for secure website.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock (  ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Text Size

A A A  
Overview Submitting Reports to the NPDB Reporting Medical Malpractice Payments Reporting Adverse Clinical Privileges Actions Reporting Adverse Professional Society Membership Actions Reporting State Licensure and Certification Actions Reporting Federal Licensure and Certification Actions Reporting Peer Review Organization Negative Actions or Findings Reporting Private Accreditation Organization Negative Actions or Findings Reporting Exclusions from Participation in Federal or State Health Care Programs Reporting Federal or State Health Care-Related Criminal Convictions Reporting Health Care-Related Civil Judgments Reporting Other Adjudicated Actions or Decisions

Q&A: Reporting State Licensure and Certification Actions

  1. If, as a result of a formal proceeding, a state dental board suspends a dentist's permit to administer anesthesia, should the action be reported to the NPDB?

    Yes. State licensing and certification authorities must report to the NPDB certain actions (referred to as state licensure and certification actions) taken against health care practitioners, entities, providers, or suppliers. Licensure includes certification and other forms of authorization to provide health care services. Because the anesthesia permit authorizes the dentist to administer anesthesia, any licensure or certification actions taken against the anesthesia permit must be reported.

Do you have a question about the NPDB Guidebook that you'd like answered?